Monday, March 23, 2009

The Corporate Bogeyman

Obviously I do not know how to spell "bogeyman." I just remember thinking that it wasn't spelled phonetically, so I tried for unphonetical spelling. Anyway, moving on to the purpose for my blog tonight.

I tend to be a sensationalist. Yes, I looked this word up in the dictionary before I used it. It doesn't perfectly fit my purposes, but it will function in this instance. I know I'm not painting myself in a very flattering light, but I tend to get very excited about almost every new thing I learn before checking to see whether that new bit of knowledge is true or not. Generally I'm excited because it seems very true and relevant, but I'm not so arrogant as to believe that I am incapable of being deceived, especially when a lot of the world today is extremely skilled in deception. So, that's why I'm a sensationalist. I get excited about sensational knowledge. However, that's where everyone else comes in. Ah, the purpose of my blog finally comes to light: I am asking for outside input and opinions on my newest piece of knowledge.

Tonight I watched a documentary with my religion class called "The Corporation." Here is the website for the documentary, and I highly recommend watching it to anyone that is affected by a corporation: http://www.thecorporation.com/. Which means everyone, by the way. After watching the movie, I discussed with my friend the fact that both of us have learned a lot this semester that we hadn't known before, and although that's generally the purpose of taking a class, we have felt different about this semester's new knowledge in that we feel we must do something about what we have learned. I may or may not write more blogs about the other topics and issues I now feel are important and should be addressed, but right now the foremost in my mind is the entity of the corporation.

I looked up the word "corporation" in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, and the search returned four definitions. The one most important to me right now is the second: "a body formed and authorized by law to act as a single person although constituted by one or more persons and legally endowed with various rights and duties including the capacity of succession." This, my friends, is the definition of one of the most influential powers in our modern world. The big corporations, or companies, that affect us all are gaining more power as time goes by. We see the results of this grasping for power in environmental problems, global oppression of the poor and working classes, and a deadly duo of consumerism and materialism.

Okay, I've obviously developed a pretty strong opinion on corporations and capitalism in the past few months. I have to admit that I never thought any of this important before now. However, I will also admit that I have only seen part of the issue, though that part has made me react very strongly. This is where everyone else comes in again. Besides just expressing opinions, if any of you have an interest or knowledge please help me find some reliable research on the topic. I would do this myself, but at this point I shouldn't even be taking the time to write this blog. :) So, if anyone can help me learn more on the topic or offer me some additional knowledge, it would be much appreciated. I hope you all take the time the think about something that I find very important. Thank you!

~Allie

2 comments:

Becky Daniel said...

http://whoownsthemedia.blogspot.com/

This is a good place to start, though I sadly stopped shortly thereafter when I couldn't get my professors to accept it for credit. :)

Anyway, it's got some helpful resources.

Becky Daniel said...

we should update our blogs sometime....